2/01/2014

Kisses from Katie

I recently read a book that touched me deep down in my soul called Kisses from Katie. The story is written by a girl who moved out of the comforts of her parents home in Nashville and the modern world, leaving the love of  her (young) life behind to devote her life to the broken children of Uganda. She started an organization that allows children to go to school that could not have otherwise afforded to. These children are also fed, clothed and given medical attention as needed by this ministry. Katie now lives permanently in Uganda and has  adopted FOURTEEN children, or as I see it, saved FOURTEEN lives! Wow.  Her passion, faith and selflessness to give her life to these children made me think about my own life. As a Christian, I am called to not only love my neighbor as myself, but to serve and save them the way I would my own family.  It's a big calling.

Last year a friend of mine had the privilege of fostering two four year old boys from different families. I was fortunate enough to be with Lisa when CPS called late one evening to pick up a small, brown eyed boy named Nicholas. I'll never forget that moment. Nicolas was quiet and shy, but also very sweet and loving. It was apparent he had been badly neglected in more ways than one. Several months later, CPS called to tell her about another 4 year old named Julian who needed a foster home. She took him in without blinking an eye. Julian was much more talkative, but also more emotional than Nicolas. Both boys were very different in personality, but both desperate for love, affection and attention. My friend is a single foster mom who works a (very) full time job. I knew her desire was to foster and/or adopt, but never saw the depth of how truly amazing she was until I observed her in the role of mothering two precious foster boys. Both boys made incredible physical,mental and emotional progress in their new home with Lisa. Julian is now happily living with his grandmother, and Nicolas and Lisa are having a beautiful new home built on acreage where he can run and ride his new four wheeler to his heart's content.

Again, I think about my own life. I am so abundantly blessed, but why me? Why am I so blessed when there are children and people everywhere that go without shelter and food, children who are neglected and abused. The answer is simple. I am blessed so that I can be a blessing to others, and my heart's desire is to one day save a child's life as these women have. When the timing is right for us, I trust that God will put the right child in our path at the right moment.

Information about Katie's ministry Amazia and her book can be found in the link below. I highly recommend this read!

http://www.amazima.org/katiesbook.html


No comments:

Post a Comment